Every family in LAUSD will soon be receiving a $15 gift card to be applied to teacher-requested projects on the Donors Choose website.
Originally, I had concerns about viral PR campaigns for certain projects, but each project is limited to 50 donors. Some teachers already use Donors Choose to help fund classroom projects, so they’ll have a leg up, but other teachers should take the opportunity to create a project for their students. Between requests for class sets of novels, iPads for educational games, and sports equipment, parents should have no trouble finding a project that supports their goals.
The Wasserman Foundation provided the funding. Early next year, Starbucks customers in Los Angeles will receive gift cards to apply to their favorite projects, as well, creating awareness outside the parent community for the needs for the most basic materials in the classroom.
Have you received your gift card? What project did you support? Do you have a project that needs support? Post in the comments section.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Tagsaffiliated charter AP attendance calendar CEAC charter Council of Council Crescendo Deasy Donors Choose DWP early college education commission ELAC ethics Facebook HGM interim Jamie Oliver Josephson LACES lunch program magnet Millikan open enrollment PCAC Performance Meter principal Roy Romer Sacramento San Fernando SAS SBM school board school choice school lunch senior prank social media social promotion summer testing Twitter underpants gnomes valley middle schools Wasserman Foundation